One of the first things that you should think about when you’re setting personal goals is what specific things you want to accomplish in your lifetime. These lifetime goals will give you the perspective that you need to shape many of the decisions that you’ll be making in your life.
There are some specific areas of your life in which you’re going to want to set very determined goals. The following categories will help you to focus on certain aspects of your lifetime goals:
• Mental attitude: Your mental attitude should be positive so that there are no negative thoughts or mindsets holding you back. Take a look at your behavior in certain situations and ask yourself if this was something that prevented you from reaching a specific goal.
• Your career: Depending on what career you want, there will be specific goals that you need to follow to make sure that you have all your credentials at the end of your schooling. Ask yourself what level it is that you want to reach in your career.
• Family: Setting family goals can be a bit more difficult than other goals because your decision will usually affect someone else as well. You’ll first need to decide if you want to be a parent and if you want the responsibilities that come with parenting.
• Financial: Determine how much you want to be making when you reach a certain age.
• Physical: Determine if there are any athletic goals that you want to reach. This can be as simple as staying in good health or as complicated as learning how to mountain climb. What will it take for you to reach this physical goal?
• Pleasure: Make a list of things that make you happy. Then make another list of steps that you can take to incorporate more of these pleasures into your life.
Once you have a list of the above categories clearly written down you’ll need to assign them with a priority number. Start with the number one priority and then start to implement changes in your life so that you can achieve this goal. Work down the list but keep in mind that you can change the priority of a category at any time. Your lifetime goals are the milestones that you want to reach for your own personal achievement.
When you’re setting lifetime goals it’s important that you make decisions for yourself that are going to fit into the person you want to be. Perhaps the most important step when it comes to goal setting is to be firm in the lifetime goals categories that you feel are most important to you.