One of the biggest problems that people have with a body detox system is that they are unable to beat the cravings that come with giving up certain foods and substances. Once they get a couple days into it, they may have terrible cravings, moodiness, headaches, stomach aches and other symptoms that make them want to go back to the thing they gave up.
However, if you just stick it out with the detox and avoid giving in to the cravings, you will feel much better once it has all passed. This is one of those pieces of advice that is much easier said than done so just how can you battle the cravings that you are experiencing during your detox?
Below are some steps you can take to help you beat the cravings that you might experience while going through a detox.
1. Avoid places that have the thing you crave.
2. Avoid watching television shows or reading books and magazines that have the foods you are craving
3. Drink a lot of water and fruit juice (if your detox program allows the juice)
4. Call a supportive friend if you feel urges coming on strong
5. Write in a journal or diary
6. Find a new hobby or past time to help ease the cravings
7. Go exercise or go for a walk or jog when your cravings come on strong
8. Practice breathing exercises
These are not a cure-all for your problem with cravings but they are great strategies to try while you are on a detox program. You need to keep in mind that there will be cravings and that there will beside effects which make your cravings even worse but if you plow through it and stick with the plan, the side effects and the cravings both will pass.
You should think of it in the same way as someone who is quitting smoking or drugs or alcohol. Their body might actually make them feel sick when they first quit as they have that dependency still. However, as they adjust to it, the body will be much healthier without the drug than it was before. Getting past the detox and into that new point is always the hardest but it is well worth it when you get there.