I am often poised with the question: “John, How do you stay motivated?”
This is a very interesting question because I am not always motivated but I do constantly pull myself back in when I am not feeling motivated but we’ll get back to that one.
There are several different things that help to keep my motivated. Here they are:
1. Setting Strong clear realistic goals – This is that starting point. I have desires that I make into goals. When I sit down with these desires and write them down into goals, I try to make the end result as crystal clear as possible. When you can paint that picture in your mind as clearly as possible, it helps your mind find ways of achieving it.
2. Work backwards on the goals breaking it down into achievable steps – Once I have a crystal clear picture of the end result, I start from there and work backwards to where I am right now. I create action steps that I need to take in order to get to that goal.
3. Take Daily Action – This is a major key to achieving and staying motivated. I take daily action towards accomplishing this goal. When you start to make forward movement, this has a motivational effect all on it’s own. When you look in the mirror and you see your body changing because of the eating and exercise changes you have made in your life, this is very powerful!
*Personal Note: I have made a decision to change my life in the area of fitness and health and I am chronicling that at http://www.burnthefatproof.com
4. Responding to Feedback – When you start to move forward to your goals, you will reach a point when you start to get push back. This is feedback and very necessary in order to grow to the point where you deserve the goal you have set for yourself. This is the test to see if you are really serious about reaching your goals. This is where you start to learn.
5. Pay attention to the habits and thinking that you need to change in order to stay motivated – You haven’t got to where you are by accident. It has taken many years of habitual actions and thinking that has gotten you to where you are, whether you are happy with that or not. We are walking habit machines. When we take control of our thinking and actions, we will produce great things with our lives. I personally use Lee Milteer’s Habit Busting System on a constant basis to help me control my habitual thinking and acting.
6. If you fall off track, get back on as quickly as possible – Sometimes I fall off track. I think this is normal and natural. BUT when I do notice this, I bring myself back into the track as quickly as possible by exploring why I set this goal to begin with and writing down a new list of “WHYS”, why do I want to reach this goal. And this will generally get me back to a motivated state.
This is a short list of things that helps me to stay motivated. I hope this helps you do the same.
As Always, Here’s to Your LifetoSuccess,